dilemma | iso200 | 34mm | f/8.0 | 1/60sec
The morphology of Napoli is composed of struggles littered with beauty. Looming in the distance of its core is the volcanic zone of Vesuvius which is beautiful in sight yet a dangerous threat. As you delve into the city, loosing sight of the crater, one finds traces of WWII bombardments, Mafia territorial control, the 1980 earthquake as well as the 2011 garbage crisis. Littered with contradictions, Napoli is Italy's most misunderstood urban centre. A walk within its heart reveals baroque splendour, decay, revitalization and hidden antiquity gems...brewing with emotion, chaos and tranquility. With no green space within the core, the narrow streets transform into a stage showcasing the drama of life...Neapolitan style!
via sanità | iso100 | 24mm | f/8.0 | 1/80sec
Vertical surfaces within the city are prime real estate for the transmission of information. Varying from art, fear, hope, commercial adverts, love notes, calcio slogans as well as the passing of a loved one - the walls of the city morph into a physical archive of the community.
università | iso200 | 24mm | f/8.0 | 1/80sec
basilica reale san francesco di paola | iso100 | 24mm | f/8.0 | 1.6sec
certosa | iso200 | 85mm | f/8.0 | 1/125sec
untitled | iso100 | 85mm | f/8.0 | 1/200sec
untitled | iso100 | 50mm | f/5.6 | 1/60sec
da michele | iso500 | 24mm | f/3.5 | 1/25sec (two exposures)
- The metropolitan area has a population of about 4 million;
- Italy's most dense city at 8,182 people per square kilometre;
- Average street width of 3m in some inner city neighbourhoods;
- High levels of unemployment, organized crime activity and respiratory disease;
- One of the worlds oldest cities;
- Most-bombed Italian city during World War II;
- Named City of Literature by UNESCO;
- Europes largest historic core, with 27 centuries of history within 1,700 hectares.
città di napoli | iso100 | 85mm | f/8.0 | 1/160sec